Here is a portion of a list I found:
- Hold conversations, listen, ask and answer questions
- Use imagination to create own stories
- Use complete sentences
- Follow simple one step directions
- Name some familiar letters
- Count to 10 or higher
- Count five objects by touching each one in turn
- Recognize some numbers
- Name the colors in a box of eight crayons
- Name the basic shapes: circle, triangle, square and rectangle
- Match and sort by size, shape and color
I did quite a bit of googling and didn't find much different. Either Sean is advanced or there's a low expectation of kids because according to what I found, Sean is almost ready to start kindergarten! I'm throwing out going by his "grade" and going with just building on what he does know.
Some of what he does know:
- A lot of the alphabet including some phonics. He'll pick up a "P" and say "P.. puh puh puh.. popcorn!"
- For the most part, the numbers 0-9.. He will confuse 2 with 5 and 6 with 9 at times.
- Basic shapes and some not so basic shapes such as an octagon
This isn't a complete list but some of what we'll be working on this coming year:
- Recognizing all the letters.
- Phonics and beginning to read
- Recognizing more numbers
- Addition and subtractions
- Telling time
- Understanding money
- Phone number