Friday, September 5, 2008

Growth Charts

I have heard many times that breastfed babies grow differently than formula fed babies. There are 2 growth charts; one for every baby and one for breastfed babies. I was told that breastfed babies don't follow the first chart very well but most doctors use it anyways. At Sean's last doctors appointment I was told he had fallen off the curve but they weren't concerned. I looked at his chart and they were using the CDC chart (the first chart). It got me thinking and today I finally sat down and charted Sean's growth on both charts. The difference is amazing. I'll be bringing both charts to Sean's next appointment and talk to his doctor about it.


This is the info I charted (age/weight):
Birth- 6 lbs 7 oz
2 months 2 days- 10 lbs 6 oz
4 months 14 days- 13 lbs 4 oz
6 months 21 days- 14 lbs 15 oz
9 months 5 days- 15 lbs 13 oz

Here's the CDC chart, doctors use this one and it's for both formula fed and breastfed babies. Sean fell off the curve on this one.

Photobucket



Here's the WHO's (World Health Organization) chart for breastfed boys. Notice how he's still on the curve.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment